So much is altering on Twit— sorry, X today. Together with the platform’s rebrand, there was an entire new paid tier, elimination of previous verified badges, disappearing submit headlines, and extra.
There are extra vital modifications on the horizon, too. X proprietor, Elon Musk, and the platform’s CEO, Linda Yaccarino, have massive plans for the platform, together with a promise to make it “a single software that encompasses every little thing.”
In a 2023 all-hands meeting, Musk reportedly shared his imaginative and prescient for X to develop into a platform the place customers can “do funds, messages, video, calling, no matter you’d like, from one single, handy place.”
So there’s little question that X, the platform as soon as often known as Twitter, is evolving — however the way in which to develop and have interaction your following on the platform hasn’t modified all that a lot.
With a reported 550 million month-to-month energetic customers, X remains to be a social media platform to be reckoned with for those who’re trying to build a personal brand or drive model consciousness as a business. And, with the suitable social media marketing strategy in place, it’s nonetheless doable to develop your following on X.
Right here’s learn how to get extra followers on Twitter/X organically.
1. Conduct a profile audit
Creating an intensive, inviting Twitter profile must be your first port of name relating to rising your followers on Twitter.
Even when Twitter customers love your content material, clicking over to a half-finished or unappealing profile is a one-way ticket to a bounce.
Open your profile on X in a brand new tab and use this guidelines to verify it ticks all of the containers:
- Profile picture: A high-quality, well-lit picture or model brand. Really useful profile image dimensions are 400×400 pixels.
- Cowl picture: A high-quality picture that showcases who you might be. Textual content actual property in your Twitter bio is restricted, so creating a canopy picture with a daring, compelling CTA (call-to-action) may be useful.
- Bio: You’re restricted to 160 characters right here, so maintain it to the purpose. Share who you might be, what you do, and, you probably have house, what potential followers can anticipate out of your content material. You might additionally tag manufacturers you’ve labored with so as to add gravitas to your identify.
- Web site: Think about using a link-in-bio instrument like Buffer’s Start Page (it’s free!) to get probably the most out of this single hyperlink. In your Begin Web page, embrace issues like your newest work, different social platforms, and your major web site.
- Pinned tweet: Put your greatest foot ahead by pinning your most participating tweet or threads, or a abstract of who you might be for brand new followers.
- Following (non-compulsory): It could possibly be price doing a follower clean-up to unfollow individuals and types you now not have interaction with. New guests to your profile are more likely to be aware your variety of followers to following ratio. Whereas it won’t be the case, a Twitter following rely larger than your follower rely is a delicate sign that your followers could solely be customers you might have adopted.
Right here’s an incredible instance from Christina Garnett (@ThatChristinaG):
2. Weigh in on international occasions
Maybe greater than every other social media platform, X is the place people flip for up-to-the-minute, real-time information and commentary.
That is why, if one thing is making waves in your world, it’s an incredible concept to share your opinion together with your Twitter followers.
Now, this doesn’t essentially imply getting political if that’s not for you. Enjoyable, international occasions that convey the world collectively, like particular holidays, Hollywood awards exhibits, and the Olympics, are additionally properly price being attentive to.
Loads of customers have seen their content material go viral on Twitter with a well-timed meme or witty remark — just like the one under, after Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet’s canoodling on the 2024 Golden Globes.
How will you recognize which occasions will probably trigger waves? Take a look at our social media content calendar and ideas list for each official (and unofficial) vacation and occasion of 2024.
3. Put up visible content material
Even the microblogging platform has not been proof against the ever-growing energy of short-form video on social media.
After analyzing over 1 million tweets despatched via Buffer in 2023, we explored which sort of content material was probably to generate engagement on Twitter — and video got here out tops.
Textual content-only posts got here in a robust second, with retweets, hyperlinks, and pictures least more likely to garner engagement on the platform, in that order.
The X group additionally recommends leaning into media posts for optimum engagement and attain. In response to the platform, 97 percent of people focus on visuals on X. They’ve grouped pictures right here, too, although our knowledge discovered that tweets with photographs or photos usually don’t carry out in addition to video or text-only posts.
Nonetheless, this doesn’t essentially imply that is set in stone in your audience. Experiment with totally different content material varieties on X to see what will get probably the most traction for you. Infographics, GIFs, and memes, significantly trending or topical ones, are nice for stopping the scroll.
Enjoyable visuals like these — all straightforward to create with templates and enhancing instruments like Canva — can develop into a pillar of your Twitter marketing plan. Take a look at how Lily Ugbaja (@lilyugbaja) tapped into an excellent previous Drake meme as an instance her learnings on this tweet:
Nonetheless, for those who handle a model account, it’s price being cautious about any memes that function celebrities or public figures. A lot of their photographs are topic to copyright, as Jack Appleby (@jappleby), Creator of Future Social, warns within the tweet under. (He adopted up with a handy resource about using images of public figures that’s properly price studying.)
Of their information to the dos and don’ts of using images on X, the group shared some useful suggestions:
- Do use templates to maximise your output and keep constant branding.
- Do select your fonts fastidiously to make sure your textual content is scannable.
- Do use alt textual content to make your pictures accessible.
- Do use illustrations to seize consideration and make issues simpler to grasp.
- Don’t use boring inventory photographs.
- Don’t overlook to resize your pictures. The X group recommends 1200 x 1200 pixels for a sq. picture (1:1 side ratio), and 1200 x 628 pixels for a 1.91:1 (panorama) side ratio.
4. Join together with your followers — and past
Set it and overlook is a technique that gained’t work on X, irrespective of how nice your content material is. Engagement is the lifeblood of Twitter, the strongest sign to the X algorithm that your content material is sweet and must be shared in additional Twitter feeds.
If individuals have taken the time to remark or retweet your submit, reward their engagement by participating proper again.
The X group doesn’t mince phrases on this entrance: “X is all about making a connection. Don’t simply submit and go away it at that. Comply with others in your business, repost influencers, have interaction with thought leaders locally, and reply to mentions and clients to construct engagement and connections.”
To capitalize on this, submit considerate questions in your tweets and encourage others to share their opinions with you to capitalize on this. That is one in every of marketer Gaetano DiNardi’s (@gaetano_nyc) favourite techniques for growing attain, he told Buffer.
“Responses to your tweets enormously improve their attain, and generally, all it takes is lower than two sentences to open the remark floodgates.”
Engagement with different creators’ or model’s content material can have an identical impact in your development on Twitter. Curate a Twitter record of thought leaders in your area of interest or business you’d prefer to construct relationships with. This may successfully create a brand new feed so that you can discover, made up completely of their content material. It’ll make it a lot simpler to interact with them (and may spark some new content material concepts for you, too).
To create a listing, click on on the three dots to the suitable of a tweet from somebody you’d like so as to add, then Add/take away [twitter handle] from Lists.
From right here, you’ll have the ability to select out of your present lists or create a brand new one by clicking Create a brand new Listing on the prime.
When organising a brand new record, you possibly can select a reputation, description, and canopy picture. Make sure you tick the Make personal field until you need the customers you’ve added to be notified.
5. Seize consideration with a robust hook
One other of Gataeno’s tried-and-tested methods is discovering a hook in your posts, particularly for those who’re sharing a lengthier Twitter thread.
“Your first tweet is your headline,” he says. “It must be compelling sufficient for readers to click on and browse extra. Use a robust assertion, a transparent query, an eye-popping statistic, or a teaser that hints at an unfolding story.”
Your final objective? Achieve followers by getting your viewers emotionally invested from the very first line.
Right here’s an incredible instance from Katelyn Bourgoin (@KateBour). She kicks it off with an intriguing headline:
Then follows up with one other daring assertion, which is successfully one other hook. She closes the tweet by tee-ing up the ultimate thought within the thread — the answer to the issue she’s highlighted, within the third tweet.
6. Share private tales
Construct a rapport and a private connection together with your viewers by sharing real-life tales they could discover relatable — bonus factors for those who can tie them again to your work in the way in which Amanda Natividad (@amandanat), VP of Advertising at Sparktoro, does with the tweet under, too.
Whereas Amanda, who coined the time period zero-click content, principally tweets about her work and (actually nice) advertising recommendation on X, she doesn’t solely share snippets of her private life to tie again into her work.
Her Twitter feed is peppered with genuine, relatable recommendation about parenting and her ardour for meals, amongst different issues.
7. Put up persistently
Like the opposite apps and websites, the X/Twitter algorithm will reward you for actively collaborating within the platform. Posting on X may be a little bit of a lighter elevate than the likes of TikTok and Instagram (you solely have 280 characters, in spite of everything), however you’ll have to do it extra usually.
X is a very fast-paced platform, and it’s straightforward for tweets to get misplaced within the noise — one researcher put the ‘lifespan’ of a tweet at just 18 minutes.
Whereas there’s no magic variety of tweets to submit per day, I’d advocate a minimal of three per day for those who’re trying to develop your viewers on X (you probably have the capability to create high quality content material at the next cadence, go for extra).
“It is essential to have a daily cadence of content material that your viewers can rely on and look ahead to,” the X group says. “Create a content material calendar to plan out your concepts and make sure you’re posting throughout essential seasons and occasions.”
I heartily agree — a content material calendar is a must have when creating at such a excessive quantity and much more so when managing (and repurposing from) different platforms.
Right here’s learn how to create your social media content calendar from scratch (with a template). Whereas it’s not fairly a hack, utilizing a social media management tool may also be a sport changer in serving to you submit persistently. Scheduling your content material upfront and automating as a lot as doable can considerably lighten the load.
8. Discover your greatest time to submit
Very similar to posting frequency, there’s no magic time to submit on X that may assure your submit goes viral. However some occasions usually appear to yield extra engagement than others.
Keep in mind that Buffer knowledge I discussed earlier? We additionally analyzed the numbers to assist us discover the perfect day to submit on Twitter, in addition to the perfect day of the week, primarily based on greater than 1 million tweets despatched in 2023.
The outcomes? Monday is the perfect time to submit on Twitter, with excessive engagement occasions at 4 a.m., 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Different excessive engagement occasions are Fridays at midnight and 11 a.m. and Sundays at midnight and seven p.m.
Whereas utilizing these larger engagement occasions may also help you experiment together with your posting schedule, these engagement price averages won’t essentially apply to your audience.
To determine the perfect time so that you can submit, you’ll have to pay shut consideration to your analytics, which I’ll unpack under.
9. Keep watch over your analytics
Monitoring your content material’s efficiency is crucial to finetuning your X technique. By on the lookout for patterns in your best-performing tweets, you possibly can uncover issues like your high-engagement occasions, your viewers’s most popular content material format, and extra.
You are able to do this through X’s native analytics or, for those who’re a Buffer person, in Buffer’s Analytics tab.
Accessing analytics on X will be fiddly, as they’re not in an apparent place on the platform. Right here’s the quickest path to their metrics:
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- Go to twitter.com/i/account_analytics. This may take you to a display screen just like the one under that provides a fowl’s-eye view of the efficiency of your content material over the past week.
- From there, click on Entry your Put up Analytics (on the backside of the screenshot above) for a extra detailed view. Right here, you possibly can dive deeper into the numbers and customise your date vary to get a clearer image of your content material efficiency.
X’s analytics are fairly strong and provide some strong element — however you’ll want to attach the dots between the numbers your self.
Click on on High posts proper beneath the graph to see your best-performing posts over a set interval (you possibly can change the date vary on the highest proper). Examine your prime ten, 20, and even 30 posts.
Can you discover any patterns? Have been many shared at an identical time or on the identical day of the week? Is there a theme in the subject material or a selected submit format that retains popping up?
- Together with your X profile connected in Buffer, head to the Analytics tab on the prime left.
- Right here, you’ll discover your Analytics Overview, which will provide you with a way of how your content material has carried out over the interval you set with the date dropdown on the highest proper.
- Click on on the Posts tab to take a deeper dive into the efficiency of particular tweets and hashtags.
- Subsequent, click on on (my private favourite) the Solutions tab. Right here, Buffer does the evaluation for you. Based mostly on the efficiency of your current content material, you’ll discover:
- The most effective day of the week so that you can submit
- The most effective content material format to submit (picture, video, textual content, or hyperlink)
- How usually to submit per day or week
10. Contemplate X Premium
Together with a bunch of different perks — like the power to submit longer tweets, edit your posts after publishing, and a blue examine in your profile — X Premium subscribers could take pleasure in one thing of an algorithmic enhance.
Whereas Tami revealed on the platform much less ceaselessly after subscribing to the paid tier, she observed that her attain and engagement stayed regular.
“X Premium instantly looks like an incredible match for anybody trying to develop an engaged viewers, particularly in case your content material is primarily text-driven,” she mentioned.
“Options like enhancing and the power to make longer type content material are invaluable for sustaining high quality and depth in content material. A few of my best-performing posts had been longer, and so they did fairly properly.”