Content material repurposing is the observe of reusing all or elements of your current content material. This normally includes altering up the format, e.g., from a weblog publish to a video.
On this publish, you’ll discover ways to repurpose your current content material in several methods.
Repurposing content material lets you attain extra individuals with out having to create new content material from scratch.
For instance, our SEO checklist presently will get an estimated 800 month-to-month search visits:
However we repurposed it right into a video a number of years in the past, and it has since generated over 230,000 views on YouTube:
Content material repurposing requires work. It’s not a one-to-one conversion—you’ll possible should do some rewriting or modifying in order that the content material suits the brand new format and platform.
So whenever you see somebody like Gary Vaynerchuk expertly repurposing his content material throughout all platforms, do not forget that he has a workforce. Should you’re doing it alone, you gained’t be capable of repurpose each single piece of content material.
You’ll want to prioritize.
One of the simplest ways to do that is to repurpose content material that targets evergreen matters.
Evergreen topics are matters with constant curiosity and search demand over time. Listed below are some examples of evergreen matters:
- Tips on how to shed extra pounds – Since time immemorial, individuals have at all times been excited about dropping pounds.
- Tips on how to tie a tie – As long as distant work is just not the norm and formal apparel is required, individuals will wish to know the best way to tie a tie.
- Soccer scores – Followers will at all times be excited about realizing the scores of the newest recreation.
How are you aware in case your content material is concentrating on a subject that’s evergreen? To seek out out, enter the subject into Ahrefs’ Keywords Explorer and verify the traits graph.
For instance, you’ll be able to see that “digital advertising and marketing” is on the rise:
Whereas, because of the crypto winter, the subject “nft” is on the steep decline:
Check out these repurposing concepts in your current content material:
1. Flip your movies into weblog posts
Our video on online marketing for newcomers has obtained >290,000 views:
We then turned it right into a blog post, and it presently receives an estimated 38,000 month-to-month search visits:
Right here’s the best way to discover matters it’s best to repurpose:
- Go to Ahrefs’ Keywords Explorer
- Enter one or just a few related key phrases
- Go to the Matching phrases report
Eyeball the report and see if there are any matters that match an current weblog publish you have.
2. Flip your weblog posts into movies
To seek out out what it’s best to repurpose, seek for your subject on YouTube and see if the top-ranking movies have views. For instance, if we seek for “construct backlinks,” we are able to see that they get tons of views:
If we have now an current publish on this subject, we are able to repurpose it right into a video.
3. Repurpose your movies right into a course
Your content material is probably going printed chronologically. Sadly, that’s not a really perfect approach to eat content material.
So why not set up content material items in a logical order and switch them right into a course?
For instance, our “How to use Ahrefs” course is made up of in-app tutorials that exist already inside our studies.
How are you aware what programs to create? Right here’s how:
- Go to Ahrefs’ Keywords Explorer
- Enter just a few related key phrases (e.g., website positioning, advertising and marketing, and many others)
- Go to the Matching phrases report
- Within the Embrace field, enter phrases like “course,” “academy,” “coaching,” and many others
- Select Any phrase
Look via the report and see if there are any programs you’ll be able to create by repurposing your content material.
4. Sew the person course movies into one lengthy video
A couple of years in the past, we launched every lesson from our SEO training course one by one.
In a while, we stitched the entire movies into a protracted (~two hours) video:
As you’ll be able to see, not solely did we obtain views for every particular person video, however the mixed video has additionally obtained ~1.8 million views!
We’ve since achieved that for a number of different programs, and so they’ve all achieved properly.
5. Flip your weblog posts right into a e book
What’s the written model of a web-based course? A e book!
You’ll be able to compile and set up your weblog posts and switch them right into a e book. This could stay in your website as an e-book or you’ll be able to go massive and publish it as a hardback/paperback.
Publishing a e book means you’ll should put it up for sale. A method is to run a giveaway, like what we did:
It’s also possible to discover websites that collate lists of one of the best books in your area of interest and get your e book talked about. Right here’s the best way to discover these websites:
- Go to Ahrefs’ Content Explorer
- Seek for “finest [topic] books”
- Set the Stay/Damaged filter to Stay solely
- Test One web page per area
- Type the outcomes by Web page site visitors to prioritize your efforts
Undergo the listing and see in case your e book is an efficient match for any of those pages.
6. Flip your movies into a number of short-form movies
Quick-form movies are an in-demand format. So if in case you have an current video, it is smart to divide and switch it into a number of shorter ones.
You’ll be able to then republish them on many various platforms: TikTok, Instagram Reels, YouTube Shorts, Twitter, and extra.
For instance, this 1½ minute video on Twitter was initially a part of a YouTube video:
7. Flip your weblog posts into visitor posts
A few of our weblog posts are so complete that they every span just a few chapters:
And every chapter generally is a publish on its personal.
So right here’s an concept: Why not flip every of those chapters right into a visitor publish? It’s environment friendly, plus you may get extra publicity, referral site visitors, and a hyperlink again to your personal website.
We name this the “Splintering Approach”:
- Write an unbelievable, detailed piece of content material in your weblog
- Break it into “splinters” and submit each as a visitor article to a different weblog
If you’ve “splintered” your content material, right here’s how you will discover websites to pitch to:
- Go to Ahrefs’ Content Explorer
- Seek for phrases related to your area of interest (e.g., keto)
- Set Language filter to English (or language you write in)
- Set Stay/Damaged filter to Solely stay
- Toggle Filter specific outcomes on
- Test One web page per area, Exclude subdomains, Exclude homepages
Since these websites cowl matters much like yours, they’re prone to settle for your visitor publish pitch. Find the website owner’s or editor’s email, attain out, and pitch them your matters.
8. Flip your weblog publish or publication into Twitter threads
Each time we publish a publish, we encourage every particular person creator to repurpose their content material right into a Twitter thread.
You’ll be able to flip the complete weblog publish or elements of it right into a thread. For instance, this thread is from a piece of our weblog publish on website structure:
9. Flip current content material into Quora solutions
A couple of years in the past, I began actively answering questions on Quora. Within the course of, I’ve gained over 2 million views.
Most of my solutions weren’t generated from scratch. As an alternative, I repurposed them from our current content material.
How do you discover the fitting inquiries to reply? Right here’s how:
- Go to Quora
- Click on your profile and go to Adverts Supervisor
- Click on New marketing campaign
- Ignore the whole lot and click on Proceed
- Beneath Contextual, click on the Questions tab
- Click on Bulk Add
Then, add your subject of alternative (e.g., website positioning) and click on “Proceed.” You’ll see a bunch of questions and their weekly views:
Pick these you can repurpose content material for and reply them.
10. Flip your content material into Reddit posts
Entrepreneurs are inclined to skip out on Reddit due to the neighborhood’s hatred for something promotional.
However Reddit wants content material to thrive. Which implies entrepreneurs are welcome, as long as the content material they publish is useful and beneficial.
A method to do that is to publish a tl;dr model of your content material and strip away all inner and exterior hyperlinks. Solely on the finish of your publish do you permit a hyperlink again to your unique piece of content material.
With 77 upvotes and constructive suggestions, it was properly obtained.
11. Reuse bits and items of your current content material as social media posts
At Ahrefs, we create customized pictures as an instance ideas for our written content material. Not surprisingly, we additionally repurpose them on our social media accounts:
Undergo your content material. Every tip, concept, resolution, lesson, customized picture, or takeaway in your content material may be extracted and reused as a standalone publish on social media.
12. Flip your convention slide decks into SlideShare decks
Creating slides for a convention is not any stroll within the park. So it’d be a pity if nobody else may view your presentation anymore as soon as your session was over.
That’s why we add all our slide decks on SlideShare:
In addition to the convention attendees, we are able to get tons of (and even hundreds) extra views on our convention slide decks.
13. Add podcast episodes as YouTube movies
Your podcast could also be in audio format, however that doesn’t imply it might probably’t work on YouTube. In truth, earlier than he moved to video podcasts, Tim Ferriss used to add his audio-only podcast episodes on YouTube:
It acquired him hundreds of extra listens.
In search of profitable examples of how corporations have achieved content material repurposing? Listed below are three to be impressed by:
All through the publish, I’ve included loads of examples of how we’ve approached content material repurposing at Ahrefs. And the explanation why I shared so many examples is that content material repurposing is a part of our modus operandi.
We stroll the speak.
So though we have now separate content material groups for our weblog, YouTube channel, and socials, content material repurposing is a part of our course of:
- When Sam Oh, our head of video content material, wants to jot down a script for a video, he checks our weblog to see if there’s content material he can reuse.
- When the weblog workforce creates outlines, we verify the YouTube channel for content material to repurpose (for instance, I created my post on holiday SEO based mostly on Sam’s video).
- Each Twitter thread or long-form LinkedIn publish is repurposed from our movies and weblog posts (learn this post on our Twitter strategy to see how we do it).
2. Sahil Bloom
- He creates a podcast episode for his chosen subject (“Tips on how to Get Out of a Rut”). That is distributed to the key podcast platforms (e.g., Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify).
- He then turns the script right into a newsletter for his subscribers, and that’s additionally printed on his web site as a weblog publish.
- That is in a while was a Twitter thread.
- He then turns it right into a long-form LinkedIn post.
One other instance: Sahil first acquired a whole lot of consideration from his thread on the Feynman Approach.
Take a look at how he has made essentially the most of that piece of content material:
- He republished the thread on his Substack.
- He turned it into a number of new tweets and threads, approaching them from barely totally different angles.
- He additionally republished them on his LinkedIn and his newsletter.
- He then added visible parts and turned that right into a new thread.
- That is then republished on Instagram.
With only one piece of content material, he has possible acquired 6X–7X of the worth.
3. Purple Bull
Purple Bull sells power drinks. However it’s additionally a content material advertising and marketing machine. It has a complete media arm—Purple Bull Media Home—devoted to producing content material for TV, YouTube, music, movies, print, and extra.
These media properties are shared throughout all Purple Bull verticals—Purple Bull itself, Purple Bull [Country], Purple Bull BC One (breakdancing), Purple Bull Skateboarding, Purple Bull Gaming, Purple Bull Racing, and many others.
As a result of it owns the content material and has groups behind it, its repurposing technique is very refined. It’s not merely doing one-to-one reposting and republishing, just like the examples above. Fairly, it’s mixing footage out and in of various movies, compilations, reels, TikToks, and extra.
Repurposing shouldn’t be an afterthought—as a substitute, it ought to be baked into the creation course of. Meaning fascinated with the way you wish to repurpose your content material earlier than you create it.
In that approach, your repurposed content material may be launched collectively along with your printed content material and assist distribute it additional.
Any questions or feedback about content material repurposing? Let me know on Twitter.