You created a beautiful and helpful website to your group to serve your supporters, constituents, and your whole audiences. However, as with most issues, the work isn’t over now that it’s constructed. To maintain that web site useful and operating easily, you’ll have to carry out website maintenance.
Maintaining with web site upkeep ensures the positioning continues to be a helpful asset to your trigger and will increase its longevity. Desire a nonprofit web site that stays related and user-friendly to your viewers? Don’t need a web site that’s weak to safety breaches or that goes down for lengthy durations of time? Then you definitely’ll want web site upkeep.
What’s concerned in web site upkeep? It contains quite a lot of checks to verify the positioning is up to date, safe, and steady. All open-source CMS platforms, like WordPress or Drupal, have periodic safety holes, bugs, or enhancements that require updates. In case you don’t work by way of these updates in a well timed method, your web site might fall sufferer to hacking and even break. As well as, it’s essential to maintain your web site up to date with correct data, content material, and performance.
Let’s stroll by way of the three most essential duties to prioritize with web site upkeep.
1. Guarantee the positioning is safe.
You wish to do all the things you’ll be able to to maintain hackers from getting access to donor knowledge. Safety ought to be your primary precedence for web site upkeep. It results in extra credibility and belief out of your supporters and retains delicate data protected.
To make sure your web site is safe, examine on the next:
- HTTPS certificates: All web sites ought to have a safe certificates, an encryption methodology that securely connects a customer’s browser along with your internet server.
- Internet hosting safety: Most fashionable internet hosting platforms additionally embrace a free SSL certificates, making it inconceivable for guests to entry the insecure model of your web site.
- Donation type and fee processor safety: In case you combine with a fee processor, reminiscent of PayPal, Authorize.internet, or Stripe in your donation type, guarantee that your front-end varieties are safe and that any knowledge handed to the processor is encrypted.
- CMS: Keep on prime of any updates to your CMS to guarantee that safety holes that they’ve mounted are utilized to your web site.
- Plugins: Just like your CMS, plugin updates preserve your web site’s instruments safe and in working order.
- Consumer accounts: Run by way of all the consumer accounts to your web site to guarantee that entry ranges are applicable and workers or volunteers who depart are eliminated.
2. Ensure all the things on the web site works.
The code in your web site is continually altering by way of common growth additions, plugin updates, and even platform updates. Due to this, you’ll wish to repeatedly examine your web site and guarantee all the things is working as you’d count on—particularly after upgrades.
You’ll wish to examine all the most essential features of your web site. This may be finished manually by reviewing the web site and dealing by way of varieties or options as one among your web site guests would. Or, it may be programmed with automated assessments by way of platforms like Ghost Inspector.
Your record of essential web site features to check might look a bit of completely different, but it surely’ll possible embrace the next objects:
- Types: In case your varieties—donation varieties, registration varieties, e-mail sign-up varieties, contact varieties, and so on.—are usually not working correctly, you could possibly lose useful supporters. Check all the varieties in your web site, beginning with an important actions you need guests to take.
- Menus: Examine the menus in your web site, together with the principle navigation menu, sidebar, footer, and parts like bread crumbs, to make sure guests could make their manner by way of the web site.
- Hyperlinks: Run a damaged hyperlink examine to guarantee that guests are usually not touchdown on lacking or 404 pages (and that you simply’re not sending them to 404 pages on different websites). Instruments like Dr. Link Check or Broken Link Checker make it simple to trace down your whole damaged hyperlinks so to repair them!
- Movies and pictures: It’s simple for a video or image-heavy web page to look a bit of wonky or for these visible parts to cease displaying appropriately after an replace. Give these pages a examine and play any movies to guarantee that content material is on the market.
- Interactive parts: Interactive options, reminiscent of video hero pictures, animations, maps, and on-line boards, are among the many commonest parts of an internet site to interrupt throughout upkeep updates. Be sure you’re checking them frequently to verify they’re nonetheless working for guests.
- Constant branding: When a number of individuals are engaged on an internet site, the branding can transfer away from what you’ve outlined. Preserve an eye fixed out for colours, fonts, pictures, logos, and different parts which might be off-brand.
3. Confirm the accuracy and timeliness of knowledge.
Apart from ensuring that the web site and options work, to maintain it as helpful as attainable to your viewers and inner digital content strategy, you’ll wish to guarantee that the knowledge on the positioning is correct and well timed.
When the content material in your web site is appropriate and present, supporters usually tend to interact along with your web site, and your search engine optimization strategy is extra prone to succeed. Analytics instruments like Google Analytics could be a nice gauge to identify useful pages, in addition to not-so-helpful pages.
Examine in on key pages (and people prone to change) to make sure the content material is appropriate and up-to-date:
- About Us: Make any wanted updates to the programming overview, affect, values, mission assertion, and imaginative and prescient assertion.
- Annual stories: Be sure you’ve included the newest annual report.
- Tax data: Guarantee tax data, like your Kind 990, is updated.
- Calendar/occasions: Examine the calendar and upcoming occasions to guarantee that previous occasions are eliminated or archived and that upcoming occasions are displaying as you’d count on.
- Contact data: In case your contact data has modified, be certain that these modifications are mirrored on the web site!
- Volunteering assets: Ensure alternatives are updated and potential, new, and veteran volunteers have what they have to be profitable.
And as you’re working by way of these pages, it’s useful to maintain two questions in thoughts for updates.
- Has something modified? When program eligibility modifications or a brand new annual report is launched, these modifications ought to be mirrored in your web site content material to maintain issues updated.
- Is that this content material serving its goal? Typically, wanted updates are much less apparent and it is advisable to take a deeper have a look at the supposed goal of a web page. For instance, your volunteer alternatives web page could also be supposed for potential volunteers, however use imprecise descriptions or inaccessible language that makes it tough for volunteers to know what they’d be signing up for.
Even for those who’re not in a position to get to those content material updates instantly, preserve a listing of pages and wanted updates that will help you and your workforce work by way of the wanted modifications incrementally as you could have the capability.
Web site upkeep will be quite a lot of work, but it surely’s completely vital to verify your web site performs effectively to your supporters. By finishing these three duties, you’ll be able to present your viewers with the perfect expertise attainable and preserve them coming again to your web site time and again.